When starting out on the gluten free path, it can be overwhelming. Overwhelming AND expensive actually. Baking those sweet treats and pasta are often the most difficult to give up. (What DO you eat for breakfast other than scrambled eggs when you're gluten/dairy free, anyway? *shrugs*)
Most local grocery stores and finally, even Wal-Mart, are carrying large amounts of gluten free products. The only thing I'm not thrilled about with nearly all gluten free products is that wheat is replaced primarily by corn with rice as a close second. "What's corn good for?" Our nutritionist will ask you, "Nothing, other than to make cows fat." *smiles*
So even though these items are tasty, we still have to eat them in moderation. Funny, at first all I could think was, "FINALLY, there's SOMETHING I can actually EAT that's not meat or vegetables!"
Well, here are some my personal favorites. Hopefully this list can save you from a headache when you're out shopping. And save you a few dollars too! Oh, and don't forget to check the mark-down section of your grocery store. Often it's tucked away in a corner on a shelf or tables. Frequently, you'll find gluten free or organic products at a great price buried there!
- Udi's Chocolate Muffins - They freeze well! Perfect for that chocolate fix. Can be found at Amazon or your local store.
- Udi's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - They also freeze well. Taste like the "real" thing! Certainly a comfort food. Can be found at Amazon or your local store.
- Rudi's Multi-grain Bread - This tastes the most like "real bread." Soft. Toasts well. Found online or at your local store.
- Hodgson Mill Pancake and Waffle Mix - We sweeten these with Agave and fresh blueberries! Top with maple syrup and yum! Can be found on Amazon or your local store.
- Hodgson Mill Apple Cinnamon Muffins - We sweeten with Agave. These do not save for very long and tend to be a bit "heavy." Can be found on Amazon or your local store.
- Bob's Red Mill Corn Bread Mix - Even if you're not GF, you will LOVE this corn bread. It's better than any other box mix - amazing. Can be found on Amazon or your local store.
- Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta - This pasta is the BEST GF pasta we've tried. (We've tried Tinkyada's other varieties as well, they're great!) It cooks well - even if you over cook, it's just fine. Taste is marvelous. Can be found on Amazon or at your local store.
- Annie's Mac and Cheese - If you're ok with including dairy in your diet Annie's will satisfy that quick mac 'n cheese craving around lunch time. Taste really isn't far off from the traditional "Kraft" taste. (And sometimes you can snag 'em for $1 each on sale!) Can be found on Amazon or at your local store.
- Larabars - If you're a fruit lover, you'll enjoy these quick snack bars. The flavors are subtle. Ingredients simple and straightforward. Can be found at Costco, Amazon or your local store! (And do look for the sales.)